
Probably my favorite building in Munich, Theatinerkirche, built 1663-1768.


To the left is the Residenz, to the right shops, Theatinerkirche (to the right of this picture) is what begins Munich's "Italian mile"...that's all I know. :)

I did a little research to find out why everyone was rubbing the shield the lion is holding (see how it's shiny where my hand is)...turns out way back when some guy threatened the king's life, when the king called for the guy in to the Residenz to confront him, the fellow rubbed the lions on each side (there are 2) before going in, when the king found out he wasn't serious about the death threat the king was so relieved he let the guy go...ever since people rub the lions for good luck.

Who is this fellow? I don't know...I'll say Ludwig :) Maybe I'll research later and update you.
1 comment:
Love both the lions and my good looking children posing in front too! That's a great story by the way.
Post a Comment