
Right in the middle of the city of Dachau, is the first Nazi camp built in 1933...left just as it was 60 years ago, right down to the barbed wire. A constant reminder to the poor people of Dachau, a city which apparently could be a tourist attraction in and of itself, even having a castle. However the only attraction that people know and come for, is the camp.

We came on a "perfect" day...it was very cold with a biting wind and freezing rain. I was so cold all I could think about was getting into our warm car and heading back to Munich for some good food. I couldn't imagine being there for 12 years (that's how long it was open), not to mention I had my nice Columbia Sportswear jacket, not thin fabric clothes, and I didn't have to stand at attention all day.

Drew begrudgingly posed for this picture...I told him the pictures would be boring if we didn't have any "people" pictures. Apparently he felt it was sacreligious, or something.

And here is the happy ending...giving honor to the US 20th Armored Division who freed this camp. The US soldiers were so appalled by what they found right in the heart of the city, that they made the people of Dachau clean up the bodies.
No comments:
Post a Comment